Please note the following article is general advice only and may not reflect your current financial situation. Please refer to the Disclaimer on our website for more information – http://www.financialservicespartners.com.au/information/disclaimer
Have you ever been at the airport waiting to board your flight, watching business class passengers get on first with their own express lane to check in? Or have you been ushered to your seat by the air-hostess via the business class section just to highlight what you are missing? If you have ever wanted to fly business class once in your life, then this article is for you. Here are the top 5 reasons why you probably aren’t flying business class and tips on how to make that dream a reality.
1. You are paying too much tax – There are two things guaranteed in life, death and taxes. We all have to pay to tax but the question is- are you paying too much? Most of us are because we do not have all the facts on tax. The ATO have a great blog that explains some of the items that you can claim like sunglasses, your electricity bill and more. A financial adviser could assist you in reducing your tax by devising a financial strategy tailored to you.
2. You don’t have a financial plan – Your financial plan should allow for budgeting but also have some wriggle room to enjoy the fruits of your labour. On a calendar try to map out weeks where you decide to indulge yourself, like the business class ticket to see the ballet at the Sydney Opera House or to watch your favourite sporting team in a grand final. I am not saying that this should be a weekly occurrence, and remember you should be saving more than you are spending.
3. Your investments are not working for you – There is nothing worse than a bad investment. Make sure you have armed yourself with the tools to know when your investments are going south so you can pack your bags and get out. You don’t always need to get out, sometimes it is better to stick with it, ride out the storm and wait for conditions to improve. By having a regular review with your financial adviser to ensure your investments are aligned to market conditions, your strategy and tolerance to risk your investment performance can help you get a little closer to that dream.
4. You can afford it but don’t think you deserve it – I have so many friends, acquaintances and contacts that simply don’t know when it is time to indulge in either a holiday or a new car. In fact, I have been that person on many occasions. What is the use of working so hard for the money you earn, but not enjoying any of it? I speak to so many financial advisers that say that this is the case with many of their clients who feel guilty about spending a little bit of money on themselves when they can more than afford it. Take a good look at your financial plan and try and fit in some time for you and remember you are worth it!
5. You can’t get a raise? Fly business class instead – Negotiating with your employer about the benefits of flying business class is a big one. In the economy we are in at the moment employers are less likely to be giving out hefty pay rises but may be looking for lower cost solutions to keep you in their company. So, if you can’t negotiate a raise why not negotiate a business class ticket for that next national flight. Flying business class you have more of an opportunity to get more work done, you well be well relaxed and fresh and ready to take in the most amount of information as possible.
If you take anything away from this article it is to work with your financial adviser to review your financial plan and know that you have earnt that business class ticket to your next destination. Give yourself the chance to indulge in some of the finer things in life and know that you still have more than enough money for that rainy day.
For more information on how a financial adviser can help you reach your business class dream please call one of our FSP team on 1800 006 216.
Claiming Tax Deductions
Savings Goal Calculator